Welcome to the Garden Oasis!

An online gardening journal started in honor of my mom, the original master gardener in my life.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Fall

It's fall here, and we're currently having our third or fourth rain day. Fall in Santa Cruz means golden 75 degree days interspersed with 60 degree rain days and cool nights, of which we're supposed to have several this week. This is a Good Thing, as it means that we'll get some water up there in Loch Lomond reservoir, which is our only local water supply and was pretty dry this summer. The grass is greening up and things are sprouting, and I've planted my onions, garlic, mustard greens, leeks, lettuces, and kohlrabi, all from seed. Leeks and onions don't do well from seed, I've discovered, but I'm going to let them go a little longer and see what happens.

I'll post some pictures soon. The garden is a mess in its current state, but I'm working through slowly and cleaning it up. It was a beautiful summer but I was not in picture taking mode. I was a bit of a mess over the summer myself -- tired and in a sort of state of transition in many ways. Excepting certain things, letting go of others.

Fall is a contemplative time for me. Tonight we're baking bread and making chicken soup, and planning to watch a movie later. I've been kvetching about the passing of summer for weeks, but as the seasonal change is taking place I've realized that I'm actually looking forward to the quieter, wetter months.

1 Comments:

At 5:38 AM, Blogger PAN said...

Onions and leeks go fantastically from seed. You can't start them in the ground, though, because they are easily crowded out by weeds and they are so thready you can't weed the patch. Start them in cell packs, and crowd about 5 or 6 seeds into one cell. They really like to be squished in like that when they are getting started. Then when they get a little more substantial, I thin them out and chop up the babies into salad. When they are about the size of a #2 pencil lead (real wood pencil lead, not mechanical) you can plant them out and be careful of the weeding.

Also, with onions be mindful of the day length. If you plant long day length onions down there all you'll get is scallions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home